Sunday 8 March 2015

Yaya Toure convinced me to join Manchester City, admits Bony

The 26-year-old admits that the Cote d'Ivoire captain and his brother Kolo had plenty of great things to say about the Etihad Stadium

Wilfried Bony has revealed that Yaya Toure played a large part in convincing him to join Manchester City.

The 26-year-old striker sealed a £28 million (€39m) move to the Etihad Stadium from Swansea City in January as the Premier League champions looked to bolster their attacking options ahead of their title battle with Chelsea, and last-16 tie with Barcelona in the Champions League.

Bony completed his switch to City during Ivory Coast’s Africa Cup of Nations campaign and the striker admits that talking to Yaya Toure, and his brother Kolo, paved the way for his transfer.

“I spoke a lot with Kolo and Yaya a lot because it was a massive move for me,” Bony told City’s official website.

“Kolo told me great things about his time at City, but mainly it was Yaya who was always talking to me and encouraging me to work hard and improve my game.

“More than anyone, Yaya told me that City was one of the greatest clubs in the world and said that if I had the opportunity to come here that I should take it with both hands – so I did.”

Bony scored the most Premier League goals of any player in 2014 but while Ivorian has not found the net in four appearances since joining City, he believes it is only a matter of time before that changes.

“When I first came to England there was big pressure because I was coming from Holland to the Premier League,” Bony said.

“At Swansea, I didn’t score in the first few games so there was more pressure again, but it’s just something you have to live with by improving and doing things better.

“This is a great move for me but I need to work hard, take my chances when they come along and it will get easier as I get to know my team-mates better and get a better understanding.

“I’ve only been here for two weeks so I’m just settling in, getting to know everyone better and they are getting to know me and what my strengths are, too.”

No comments: